Don't loose heart!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peachachecha, Nov 1, 2011.

1. peachachecha

peachachecha Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I have two Black Marans that were born some time in March. I thought they would never give me any eggs but then on Oct 21 they started to lay. I have had 14 eggs since Oct 21st. So they will lay in their own good time and each time I check the nest box I get excited. The decrease in light and the cold setting in does not seem much of a factor yet. So, for those of you that are still playing the waiting game, don't loose heart, it will happen!

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Congratulations on getting those first eggs!! Sounds like your Marans are really doing great.

3. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Yeah for you! Would you post pictures of the eggs? Are they really dark? I have two Cuckoo Marans and the eggs aren't as dark as I had hoped they would be, but one of them lays a huge, round egg with dark speckles. It's almost as good!

4. peachachecha

Aug 2, 2011
    Quote:I would love to post pictures of both the girls and their eggs but I do not have a cell phone or a digital camera. My daughter said I need to come out of the dark ages! I just went from dial up to high speed in July - these things take time for us in our 60's.

5. LT

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Ha! I understand. I am barely living in the 21st century myself. Are they darker than traditional brown eggs?

6. peachachecha

Aug 2, 2011
    Quote:Yes, they are darker. Lucy's first egg was 58 grams and her last one today was 60 grams. Ethel's first one was 47 grams and today it was 54 grams.

7. peachachecha

Aug 2, 2011
    Quote:How old are your Marans? Mine are very friendly, always at my feet. It's difficult to keep from stepping on them.

8. LT

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Quote:Yes, they are darker. Lucy's first egg was 58 grams and her last one today was 60 grams. Ethel's first one was 47 grams and today it was 54 grams.

I LOVE their names!!!! One of mine, Mabelline, she is a "bigger" girl. and she lays the huge, round eggs.

9. LT

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Quote:How old are your Marans? Mine are very friendly, always at my feet. It's difficult to keep from stepping on them.

Let's see. Mine were born on April 6. I am thinking that makes them about 31 weeks? One of them started laying at 24 weeks, and the other has only been laying for about two weeks now. They are both quite lovely girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by