Don't Move the Tractor after the Chicks get up

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wayneh, May 9, 2011.

1. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    this morning after letting the girls out, I move the tractor. we have been letting our girls out for about a week now and bout 10 mins. after sunset, they went to bed. same thing every night, no problem. the girls have exploried all around the house. they found TW's rose garden. scratchy, scratchy, munchie bugs and other wonderful stuff. they even picked bugs off the bushes. then each evening they would walk back around the house and get in the tractor for the night. so today I thought that it would be good to have the tractor close to the rose garden, so I moved it. only thing wrong, I moved it after the girls got up and went out. all day they would walk around the tractor, they even went up inside for a short time. about 8 PM, when they usally went to bed, I went out to shut the door. looked inside, no chicks, they are no where in site. I walk around where the tractor was, there they were doing the "we want to go to bed" cluck. we ended up having to roll the tractor back around to get them in bed. tomorrow, I'll move them before they get out. see if that works.

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    What a relief! From your title, I thought you were going to tell us that you squished a poor chick - almost didn't look.

Glad it was just a silly chick story!

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I looked at the post because last year I rolled over someones foot moving the tractor! How about those creatures of habit.

4. ketcham

ketcham Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    Love a silly chick story!!!! Keep us posted on this.Mine is in need of a move.Kevin [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    Quote:hey Kevin, I'll be moving it again this morning. we will see tonight it this works. stupid chickens.

6. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Oh, I wasn't knocking silly chick stories! I enjoy a good silly chick story.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    First get them used to the fact that "home" moves regularly while they are still inside. Then once you start letting them out don't more the tractor more than one tractor length if they are outside. By then they should be able to grasp what's going on. Once they are grown and accustomed to frequent moves you should be able to move it farther, but I still would not move it many tractor lengths at once if they are not inside of it. Usually I move all of my mine with the birds inside.

8. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Funnny Stuff! [​IMG]

I started my younguns out on straw. last week I changed over to pine shavings. I had to individually toss them in the coop and lock the door that night! They were terrified of the wood chips! Silly birds!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by