don't my girls look ready to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Aug 22, 2011.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    This is almost worse than waiting for your own children to be born. Goodness gracious! Do most of these girls look ready?
    [​IMG]

2. Love2Homeschool

Love2Homeschool Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Texas
    Well, I have some that are red-faced with big comb/wattles that are NOT laying yet and some with smaller ones that are. I think they will lay when they are ready! Such a test of patience! [​IMG]

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Well they look very beautiful but it doesn’t matter what they look like on the outside it is what’s on inside that counts lol if you know what I mean, just hang in there a lil longer you’d be surprised at how much they will grow in their looks when you think they are done

4. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    I would say the BR with the biggest reddest comb looks ready, are any of them squatting yet?

5. momofchicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    they run to me when I walk out there because I either open the door for them to free range, or I have treats, but they run from me when I go to touch them. So, I guess that means no squatting yet or they're still too afraid of me to squat.

6. pooh731

pooh731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    My 'brownie' looks like that to, and still no egg. She is my EE. My 'red bird' also looks like that she is my RIR.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Gorgeous birds. The longer the wait, the better, in some cases. Oft times in simply means you got a more traditional strain, rather than one all jacked up with Quick Lay-Heavy-Lay followed by a rather short career. Well, hold onto that thought, anyhow. [​IMG]

8. I<3Overalls

I<3Overalls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    I think that the BR in the middle looks like it could be ready but then again, my girls have combs almost as big and they aren't laying yet... are they squatting or checking out their nesting boxes yet?

9. momofchicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    unfortunately they are now sleeping in their nesting boxes. I have been finding poo in there too. YUCK.

10. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I agree I have 2 BR and 2 EE that look almost exactly like yours and the one with the big comb is the only one that looks ready. Mine started squatting and 2 weeks later we had eggs. The other thing you can check is how much space is between their pelvic bones. Once mine got to a 2 finger width, I had eggs within days.

How old are they? Mine started at exactly 21 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by