Don't seem to want to go outside?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jul 8, 2008.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I have three chickens and they are new to each other. They have a nice outside run that they can freely get to and freely exit. But, they never seem to want to go out anymore. We just recently moved the coop, could the new setting be the problem? WHat would make them reluctant to go out?

(I've been keeping the dog far away!! One reason I moved it was that they cannot see her now when she is chained up outside...)

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Are you feeding them in the coop, or in the run??

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Are you having buffalo gnats? Mine stayed inside for a week when the gnats got bad cause the gnats won't hardly go inside.

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    As for food - both. The feeder is inside the coop, but I scatter the treats - fruit etc in the run. I also put sand and grit and scattered feed in the run area (not all at once!) [​IMG]

But, I do have these monster flies!! We live next to a mushroom house and the flies are killer and they congregate on the fruit really really fast. The roo had been eating them! But, now he's got two girlies and they won't come out! And no, I don't think they're honeymooning [​IMG] he's only ten weeks old!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chickens had a horrible time of it when we moved their pen while they were outside playing. When the time came for them to go to bed, they ran to the former location and stood there in a shock state. We had to pick them up and put them in the pen in its new location. Now they're okay with it; except for my little worrywart chicken. During their free-ranging time she still walks across the yard, back and forth, checking on the location of the pen.
    Chickens don't like change. If it were me, I would chase them out, just one time. They may need just a little bit of encouragement. After that one time, if they still don't want to go out by themselves, I'd look for other causes.

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Like what "other causes" I did shoo them out yesterday and all three went out and lollygagged in the grass. But, soon they all scooted back inside and could not be coaxed back out.....

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

Like what "other causes" I did shoo them out yesterday and all three went out and lollygagged in the grass. But, soon they all scooted back inside and could not be coaxed back out.....

Is the run covered? Is there now or do you know of anything that may have scared them when they were out in their run? Is there shade in the run? That sort of thing. I'm just guessing here, but like I said I know my chickens are afraid of change and they seem to be most comfortable with something to be under. Inside that's the roof of their pen; outside they hang out under the many large bushes.​

8. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Gritsay you hit the nail on the head. When I let them out free they left the coop and immediately darted under the hay trailer! They mudged around under there for a good long while and then became more adventurous. They were watched the whole time (this is my excuse for not getting any housework done![​IMG])

Today they seem more willing to come out! Thanks everyone!

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Glad you found a solution. They should continue to get more adventerous. Mine wander everywhere now, but let one little thing spook them and they're all back under their favorite bush in record time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by