Don't tell a chick seller what they hav (or not)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cohsm, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Cohsm

Cohsm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    I don't know if this is the right place for this but...

Yesterday I was at a not to be named place who sold chicks. I was asking about their americanas and wanted to know if they were true or if they were actually EE. She showed me a picture of them, with the egg colors next to them and said of course they are true. The picture of the eggs were all different colors. From what I've read here Americanas only have one egg color, am I right? I told her no those are EEers. She slammed the book closed and very harshly told told they get what they get.

Was I wrong?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You are right. A true Ameraucana or Araucana will lay sky blue eggs. So she's got EEs there. If this was at a feed store, they probably got their chicks from a hatchery, and of course, they commonly call their EEs Ameraucanas or Araucanas.

Strange that she became angry, especially if she wasn' t a breeder. I think some of the employees at the farm stores actually hate chick days. I've heard them say they really love seeing the chicks at first, then they get to be a burden because they have to be cleaned up after, and they get stinky. I understand their feelings, because if you're not really into chickens (like you and I) then it's just another chore......

Take care and I hope you have a great weekend!

Sharon

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Sharon I just wanted to let you know spring is here in Ohio. As you should know. Weather is tortoise up here. My days off are Monday and Tuesday and it is supposed to be in the upper 70's. I want to put a chicky jumping but I'm on my phone.
    Michele

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Michelle! Isn't this weather great! I am LOVIN' it! I just did my total coop cleanout this past weekend, and now everything is so nice and fresh......Now, I've gotta do spring cleaning in the house! (Oh, but it's too nice to stay indoors......I better make myself get busy before it's time to get the garden in......) LOL

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    It is great. My garden has its first till done. One coop cleaned and made a rooster pen for the D'Uccles. Its going to be a wonderful weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by