Dont they look like they should be laying? - Video

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dbounds10, Jul 29, 2011.

1. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    OK so my 2 BR's were 20 weeks old on Tuesday 7/26 and no eggs yet. They have been squatting for me for about 2 weeks. Tried to get it on video but they were a little freaky about the camera. I have also checked the pelvic bones as sugested in another post and they both have a 2 finger opening. I am really getting impatient, [​IMG] what are your thoughts?

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I think they definitely look ready. Have they been doing the egg song?

3. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Not that I have heard, just the squat. They hardly ever bok, its only that slow chicken growl thing you hear in the video, like a brrrrraaaaaaa.

Its really hot here so I am wondering if the heat is slowing them down, but I go above and beyond to keep them cool....The suspense is KILLING ME!

4. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Hmm, my BR laid at 18 weeks, but it was cooler then. With this heat I think the girls are laying a little slower or less. They sure do look ready though.

5. grandmas Nest

grandmas Nest Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Newcastle, Wy
    I have 12 BRs that were 20 weeks old today. I have 5 that are squatting but no brown eggs yet.[​IMG] I have 3 EEs that are 20 weeks old and 1 started laying a week ago. A pretty blue egg. First 2 in run, then 2 soft ones under roost and now the rest have been in the nests. But waiting on the BRs. But has been in the 90 and low 100's for a couple weeks so may have slowed them down.[​IMG]

6. ave you checked every single inch of ground they have access to? You only have about a 50/50 shot they will use the box the first few eggs. If not just be patient (i know that first egg is like the first rainbow you saw as a kid) LOL

7. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Don't be too concerned yet, 20 weeks is about as early as you want them to start laying. If they've been squatting, they'll be laying any minute now! Get your frying pan ready and keep your camera handy for that first beauty!!

8. dbounds10

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:They have not been out to free range and I check the run an coop every day. The run they have is only 12x18 feet and the coop is only 6x4 so it does not take much to search it every day, which i do!!
    I wanted them to start laying in the nest boxes before I start to let them range to much. I do let them out but only in the evening and I am out there with them. I only have 6 girls so I can keep track of them. [​IMG]

Here is there set up
    [​IMG]

9. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. When its time they will start. It might be a little hot for them. Not all birds start laying at 5 months some as long as 8 or 9 months. While your waiting have a little PORK.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Any day now... any day....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by