Don't think it's a Polish . . . . but what is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by calicokat, Apr 8, 2011.

1. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    We got our spring chicks for 4H this year, and DD chose all polish - Except . . . . one isn't really looking polish to us.

It's the all black one that we are wondering about . . . . any ideas on what he/she is?

These are group shots of the little ones at about 4 or 5 weeks on their first day outside (in the dog crate to protect them from the rest of the flock, like Phyllis Diller who got pretty curious about these new peeping things!) If you look, you can see a few views of the one in question, these are the best ones I have of him/her right now, but could try for better ones tonight if it would help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help, we're stumped [​IMG]

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Crevecouer comes to mind as a possibility. It's really hard to tell from the pics you posted. Can you maybe get some better pics of the chick outside of the kennel? Straight head on and side on pics would help.

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I can try for better pix tonight.

What got us started wondering is the crest isn't full like the polish, it's more mohawk-ish, smaller and not all around the head.

4. newchknmama

newchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Middleton ID
    I was told a mohawk was a roo and a puff ball was a hen. I know the Polish roos I have seen have big spikey mohawks. I think they are awesome! I love my Polish baby [​IMG]

5. akcountrygrrl

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Two things have me leaning toward Crevecouer. First, the chick looks like it is all black, most hatcheries carry white crested black/blue, white, silver, buff laced, and golden Polish. Second, the chick looks like it has a beard/muffs. Only silver, golden, white, and buff laced Polish are supposed to come in a bearded variety. If this is a hatchery bird, then all breed standards could be thrown out the window but generally, hatcheries are pretty good about keeping the ornamental fowl a little closer to the breed standards than they are the utilitarian birds.

6. PrettyCoy

PrettyCoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Is the big one a frizzled polish? I want to hug it!!

7. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    It looks like a crevecouer. I think that I spelled that right.

8. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  9. akcountrygrrl

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I've seen it happen alot with the "Polish Top Hat Assortment" (or some such similar name) where the hatchery will send Polish, Crevs, Houdans, and Sultans all as part of the assortment. I've even seen Silkies in one assortment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by