Don't understand indgredients on flock block recipes meat chickens or egg layers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by the girls club, Nov 12, 2014.

1. the girls club

the girls club Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    Most or some of the recipes for making flock block calls for egg shells or eggs themselves. Is this for meat chickens? Why would you give this for egg layers. Thought you shouldn't give them to egg layers as it would possibly give the chickens a reason for them to eat their own eggs

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    People give their layers crushed egg shells for the calcium the birds need. I don't give our girls raw eggs (although some folks do) but cooked eggs are good for chickens as they are full of protein. My girls love eggs hardboiled cut up for them and I scramble extra eggs for them (without oil or salt/pepper) as a treat.

3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    "Flock Blocks" can be fed to any type of chicken they are a treat and don't contain all the nutrients chickens need so they should get there nutrients from there regular poultry feed.

5. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    There seems to be quite a fear amongst many here on BYC (especially newbies) about not feeding eggs or eggshells to your chickens because it might turn them into egg eaters. But in the thousands of posts I have read, I have yet to read one in which someone said, "Yes, I fed eggs/eggshells to my birds and they started eating the eggs they laid."

I've read LOTS (hundreds?) of posts of folks who feed eggs/shells and have no issues. We do this all the time and have never had an issue. We had a couple birds who consistently laid thin shelled eggs, which often broke, and they would eat those up. Which was great...they cleaned up the mess for us!

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I agree with pdirt,

In my eyes two things make egg eaters, poor nest box designs and poor nutrition.
    If you have good nutrition and a somewhat dark nest box just big enough for the hen to get in and out the chances are good that you will never have a egg eater.

I have fed tons of eggs back to my birds, raw, cooked it doesn't matter and never had a hen eat eggs out of the nest box.

7. When I get a thin-shelled egg in the nest box, and it's broken before I check for eggs, I still have to clean it up (which is a pain if it's soaked all the way through the bedding and dried because it was a dawn egg and I don't get out there until early afternoon), and I regularly throw cracked/dirty eggs onto the ground for the chickens to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by