Don't understatement the brutality of domestic dogs...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by happierfacts, Dec 12, 2012.

1. happierfacts

happierfacts New Egg

May 5, 2012
    We lost 5 of our 7 chickens to a couple of domestic dogs on the loose in our semi-rural area. We live on 2+ acres and are surrounded by other similar sized lots with a big open national forest lot to our south. We had been allowing our flock to really FREE-range over our lot and into my neighbors's and part of the forest. Figuring the daylight hours were "safe" and the rooster would help protect the girls and that they had plenty of sheltering options... this seemed like a way to have truly happy chickens (and they WERE...). Sunday afternoon changed all that. One hen must have been completely off by herself as she seems clueless on the destruction, the other had many of her back feathers ripped out and a couple minor sores -- both are thriving :) We're keeping them in the coop [hardware "cloth" barrier should protect from digging predators] -- no more roaming the land until we can figure out options.

Here's a tribute video I put together to honor our lost dear ones.

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    Dogs running loose and onto my property are considered predators. I no longer warn the owners since being wrongly accused of being responsible for a missing chicken-killer. There were several neighbors who's chickens this dog had killed. They just got him before I did. That dog owner never spoke to me again and, finally moved back to the city.

It always amazes me how some people feel as though a chicken killing dog should be treated with much more leniency than a coyote or a raccoon would be. Around here, chicken killers get to spend eternity with the chickens that they killed.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

That is precisely why I quit free ranging long ago. There's just always too many dang dogs running loose and we can't stand watch all day long. If I free ranged I'd be chickenless in no time.

5. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    What an - unfortunately - timely post for me to read. I just opened the window to see MY dog got loose... pulled a bantam cochin chick right out of her jaws. Another bantam cochin cockerel was found dead. [​IMG]

Time to re-evaluate our dog-restraining method. If we quit free-ranging our feed costs will become huge, but I really don't want to lose more chickens. In fact part of the reason for getting a dog was warding off predators... and really, she has been quite effective at keeping foxes away (we lost our entire original flock to foxes). But now she has become a predator herself.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    First thing, sympathy for the lost birds.

Dogs are not "brutal". They are predators and just following the instincts that Mother Nature gave them. Chicken deaths due to marauding dogs are due to irresponsible dog owners, not to brutality of the dogs themselves.

Flock Leader, you can train your dog to leave the chickens alone, although that would have been easier if you had done it before the dog learned that it is fun to chase chickens. But the dog can still be trained; it will just take more of your time and effort.

Personally, I don't see an enormous difference between the people who allow their dogs to wander on the neighbor's property and the people who allow their chickens and cats to wander on their neighbor's property. Both are inconsiderate and disrespectful of property rights.

1 person likes this.
  7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm sorry to hear about your losses, happierfacts and Flock Leader [​IMG] I've lost a favourite hen to a dog 3 years ago. Very unpleasant experience.

Dogs were originally wild animals, before we domesticated them and started providing for them they hunted for food. They still have hunting instincts and we need to remember that. And be prepared for it. I think the simplest way is keep dogs in their yards and keep chickens fenced in. If you have both, train your dog or keep them separate. If you have dogs running around the neighbourhood unsupervised, make double sure your fences are secure. And if that fails, get a gun.

8. colby8100

colby8100 New Egg

Nov 12, 2012
    We had problems with dogs none got my chickens but tried to get my dog and my physically handicap sister called the police they warned the owner happened again while police were there shot one of the dogs with a tazer 30min later dogs back trying to be aggressive again cop shot two of them and told us there is a lease law if they are causing harm or damage to personal property shoot them n they would dispose of them if they have a collar contact owner if happened again shoot them that's the law in sc

9. texas hiker

texas hiker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    East Texas
    Negative.

Predators kill for food.

Domesticated dogs kill for fun.

If dogs were truly "following instincts that Mother Nature gave them", the dog would kill one chicken, eat it, then kill another it the dog was still hungry.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  10. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Dogs are Predators - just domesticated ones.

They will still kill and eat chickens if they are hungry and for fun also!

There are many wild predators like foxes, which kill for 'fun' - they will kill all the chickens in the coop - far more than they can eat.

Also some whales and dolphins will kill for fun - killer whales often hunt down young wales or adult seals, then play with the dead body and not even eat them - although we don't have to worry about such predators with our chickens - unless we are taking them on a swimming holiday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by