1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Don't use heat bulbs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bawk2theFuture, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Bawk2theFuture

Bawk2theFuture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Euclid, Ohio
    I was going to post pics of my chicken coop when I had it all the way I wanted it to look. I was getting pretty close this week. But at 8 am the fire department was banging on my door to tell me my coop was on fire. My heart is broken. Lost all my laying hens and almost lost my bantam coop.
    Thousands of dollars down the drain...but mainly I miss my Easter Eggers Snooki and Peanut. They used to fly up and roost on me.

Don't use heat bulbs. I've heard that before...
    Thought it couldn't happen to me.
    I was wrong. It hurts so much to go through this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    NorthCentral IN
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. Bawk2theFuture

Mar 31, 2016
    Euclid, Ohio
    Thanks you guys...
    My real time friends and family don't really understand. They haven't any chickens

5. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Very sorry for your loss.

Did you find the specific cause? Was there faulty or overloaded wiring? Did the heat lamp fall?

6. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I'm so sorry. I would be devastated also.

7. pnwoldie

pnwoldie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    It looks like that was a beautiful chicken structure. So sorry you have to go through this.

8. Bawk2theFuture

Mar 31, 2016
    Euclid, Ohio

The fire department said everything was so torched that it was hard to say. But they imagine it was the heat lamp.

9. Bawk2theFuture

Mar 31, 2016
    Euclid, Ohio
    Well...my husband gets it. We cried all day together while our new puppy tried to console us.

10. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Sorry to see that happen. Money lost is one thing, but there is a pretty big emotional investment in something like that too......the house and the birds. Tough thing to accept.

How did you have the heat lamp installed? How close to combustibles, etc? How was it wired?

Also, did you also happen to have an electric water heater? If so, what type and how was it installed?

(I see these metal pans with light bulbs in them........some of them homemade.....and they are placed beneath water buckets and water tanks and I start to see spilt water and electricity coming together. Shock hazard for certain, but possible fire hazard as well).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by