Don't Wanna get rid of my rooster, Please help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Courtney R, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Courtney R

Courtney R Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    My rooster is getting out of hand, w/ him protecting his territory... He cut my mom and runs after ppl, his spurs r like long nubbs though, so they rnt sharp- yet. But idk kno wat to do and i dont wanna get rid of him or kill him....[​IMG]

2. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    You could try putting him in time out. Sounds silly but it could work. I usually grab the rooster when he is being naughty then parade him around the chicken yard letting the ladies look at him cradled in my arm. This usually humiliates/ embarrasses them and when I let him go they slink off with their tails down. If this doesn't help I would put him in a crate when he acts mean. This may help it but it may not. Woth a try though. Hope he starts behaving!

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    How old is he?

4. Courtney R

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    Oh, i do that w/ him all the time.... cuz he is really tamed and all, but u know when the hens r in trouble and they freak out... cuz then he came running trying to get us- we had to dust all the chickens and some of them flipped out- byt then my mom put him in a small cage, but not too small, right in front of where i was dusting the chickens so it was kinda like time out

5. Courtney R

Nov 10, 2012
    Florida
    and he will b a year old in the summer, i think

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by