don't want my eggs fertilized

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fayediddles, Oct 17, 2015.

1. fayediddles

fayediddles Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2015
    I don't want all my hens to be with the roo, I want to sell my eggs and don't want to sell bloody eggs. any advice?

2. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Um, eat the rooster?

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Being fertilized does not make the eggs bloody - the only difference between a fertilzed unincubated egg and a non-fertlized egg is that the germinal disc (the little white spot on the yolk of each egg) will have a "bulls-eye" marking vs just being a plain white dot. Meat/blood spots occur in eggs that are fertile and infertile. As long as you gather your eggs every day there is no chance that the eggs will be incubated, thus tehre will be ZERO development of the egg.
    Alternatively, don't keep a rooster.

1 person likes this.
  4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    x2 I have no rooster, so no chance of eggs being fertile, but occasionally I and my customers will crack open an egg with spots, either a little blood dot on the yolk or a small floating meat spot or two. When I first started selling eggs, every carton that went to folks who had never had true "farm fresh" eggs got a little flyer that explained why I don't wash eggs and what those little spots are that they might find in them sometimes. Folks who grew up on fresh eggs as opposed to grocery store eggs were already used to them and weren't bothered a bit, but I wanted to head off anyone thinking "Oh, gross! There is a chicken embryo in this egg."

By the way, even though those spots are unappetizing, they are harmless. Big commercial producers have specialized computer candlers that can detect them and they are rejected before they ever see a carton. Guess where those rejected eggs end up.....in processed foods.

5. fayediddles

Jun 11, 2015
    Oh unless I miss read if I gather the eggs and refrigerate them daily they won't get bloody?

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yes, and no. If the eggs are gathered daily there will be no development of any chick or the blood vessels, etc that support that developing chick. However, there is still the chance that you might find an occasional blood or meat spot in the eggs as they are in no way caused by or related to whether an egg is fertile or how it is handled/stored.

1 person likes this.
  7. Katieboosmama

Katieboosmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    Advance, NC
    No, chicks will not develop if gathered daily, and not allowed to get above incubating temperature. Meat spots, and blood spots can occur in unfertilized eggs.

8. fayediddles

Jun 11, 2015
    Oh I believe I understand better now, so just have to crack in a bowl alone every time if you don't want to consume a little blood in the eggs. thanks everyone.

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    They are laid with those spots in them. There is suture line where the yolk is attached to the chicken before it starts moving down the assembly line. Sometimes a tiny little blood vessel breaks there as the yolk is released to begin its trip. Then the white is laid down around the yolk, encasing it. So it doesn't matter if you refrigerate that egg or not - that spot will be there. The other spots that sometimes appear in the white are known as "meat spots", just tiny bits of tissue that get torn away and stuck in the egg white. Again, they are totally harmless - not much different than eating a bit of cooked meat, but many folks (incuding, frankly, me!) find them unappetizing at best. When I first started this I would toss the egg and get a different one. Now I just pick out the meat spots and don't worry about them. Others don't even do that. I learned growing up to always, always break the egg into a separate bowl before adding it to a recipe or putting it in the frying pan.

Edited: I gotta remember to check that new post thingy. I get myself in more trouble by answering already answered questions. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  10. Katieboosmama

Katieboosmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    Advance, NC
    I wouldn't worry about, sometimes clarification is necessary. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by