Don't you just love the ugly stage? :P

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LaneyAngel, Feb 26, 2009.

1. LaneyAngel

LaneyAngel Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    Australia
    Every animal goes through its awkward, in the middle of growing up, and really ugly stage....

But none so much as my baby chick Nugget, who is just shy of 4 weeks old....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The little one has a pair of Frizzles for parents. You think with that amount of feather curling at a mere 4 weeks old he's destined to be an overly curled Frazzle?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He/She has two companions, who are only a couple of older, but they are both much much more feathered than this little one....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Look like most teens!!! Awkward and cute at the same time!!! [​IMG]

3. ashtray

ashtray Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Staunton VA
    the only time a chicken is cute is when they are 1-2 weeks olds after that its all down hill........ chicken and turkeys are ugly birds .. i would love to have a hawk eagle as a pet they are good looking birds

4. LaneyAngel

Jan 20, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:Naw, some chickens when they're grown up are just lovely!!! I love my Hobbit:

[​IMG]

and I'm utterly in love with my rooster daddy, Jareth:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Beautiful birds.

What variety is Hobbit?

pretty.

6. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    You ever heard the childhood story "The Ugly Duckling"? He will be beautiful someday. I think he's cute anyway!!!

sandyj

7. LaneyAngel

Jan 20, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:Well, Hobbits father is the rooster you see there, Jareth, the frizzle...
    her mother is a Pekin... Cosette (here is a pic of her ma n pa together):

[​IMG]

I think body shape wise, she takes after mama...

I got Cosette from a chook show... stock that wasn't show standard, but i got her as a total pet.
    And Jareth is my only rooster...
    So, obviously, he gotta be daddy. LOL

He's sposedly a Frizzled Pekin... so technically I think Hobbit counts as being Pekin *shrugs*

It seems no matter what she does, she never gets dirty. I had a small Sussex hen for awhile, and she always looked dusty and dirty. Hobbit has dust baths and never looks dirty! Such a brat!!!!

I can't wait til my three babies are big enough to go outside with the others. My dad keeps trying to say Hobbit is going to end up a rooster and we should kill now!!! (He hates roosters.... the crowing drives him batty [​IMG])
    But I dunno... Hobbit was hatched November 29th, 2008, so is coming up 3 months old. I would have thought a bigger comb would be a given if Hobbit was a rooster.

And I have no idea what my 3 young ones will turn out to be. I just hope they're not all roosters, otherwise dad will be most displeased! Especially given I am not likely to ever part with Nugget or Hobbit, I'm too attached to them, rooster or not!

Hobbit is just so pretty! And Nugget is the first egg I hatched from my incubator. So is very special to me.....
    Despite looking ridiculous right now. [​IMG]

8. rtda4

rtda4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for posting a picture of your baby! I was rolling from laughter. He is like my dog Buster, he is is ugly he is cute.. Thanks that was great.

Robin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by