Dont you love getting new peafowl? NEW PHOTOS ADDED PG 2

jbourget

Songster
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
CT
Alright, so a few good and a few bad about my visit yesterday an hour away to a new peafowl breeder in my state. He was in Killingworth CT for the local people reading. I got there with my girlfriend and he walked me to the dog kennels of birds he had. I was really shocked to see that they were VERY cramped..
sickbyc.gif
.almost no peahens had any crest feathers on thier heads and many of the other male birds tails were picked at. It was about 20x15 and he had roughly 40 2 year old various peafowl in it then another the same size with probably 50 this years birds...also very cramped and then a 40x20 for his breeders...they were cramped too. and he also had many colors he said he just lets them do thier things....whatever colors he gets he gets. Well he told me this male i picked out was a few colors, So i need the pros opinions. The peahen was too spooked and it was a rough hour home for them so i could only get the cock birds photos quickly as i placed them in thier new coop. Wich is like the Taj Mahal to them now...a large outdoors run attached to the 10x12 coop that is 10 feet tall for them to roost in...and run is 16x16. i plan on putting my other pair of 2 year old whites in with them.

His train is allready looking very nice...cant wait till summertime!
celebrate.gif
ya.gif

Also, i was mislead by his posting add, he said blues 125, whites 150 and pieds 175....thought it was for pairs. got there and learned fast he was exspensive, but he ships in alot of birds from brad legg and whatnot. He had a nice opal hen. and peach...lots of very cool colors but i knew i wanted pieds because i have my little hen from this year to breed in the next few to this male as well!

8420_animals_332.jpg

Last edited:
lot of white maybe blue silver pied, know more when you see his train eyes....if all white eye , then silver pied. can't tell what colors he may carry. check his wing for wing bands , if fron Brad ,his name will be on the band, if so Brad may be able to tell what the parents are.

Sad he had that many birds in a 15 X 20 pen 40 full grown birds.........unreal.

Thanks, yeah he said silver pied once but the peahen isnt i dont think. I will post much better pics as soon as i can. Yeah i picked out the biggest and best peacock out of the bunch to rescue him and his mate from the grimy conditions. I plan to go back and get more too...said he has a dozen mroe to sell and can do a good deal on all of them but... he originally wanted 425 for the pr of pieds..got him to 300. He had alot i asked about a cameo male from this year....said 150$ so he will have to work on his prices with me

and deerman i can see one white eye allready right in the middle there at the beginning! cool
droolin.gif

Save your money , make a trip to Ohio Mt Hope Auction you can find some grand birds there , even Brad bring alot to this auction. well worth the trip. most breeding age birds range 75.00 to 200.00 depending on colors and patterns....bet there is about a thousand peafowl.

Nice looking peacock. If he doesn't have room for all his birds maybe he should try free-ranging some of them to free up a little room. Good luck with him and that guy does sound very pricey. $425 for a pair of pieds!? You could get a pair of green peafowl for about that price! He must not be trying to get rid of his crowded pen situation very fast asking for those prices.

I can't wait to see that peacock displaying!
smile.png

thanks! yes i know i cant wait either, im very excited for spring because i will have an adult white pair that should be her first year laying
fl.gif
And i should be able to hatch some eggs off this male and his mate if i get lucky as well, next season will be her second. third for my white.

I know i actually was let down on the prices. because i was planning on getting 2 pairs, oh well i emailed him today and he said he can do a cameo male from this year for 100$ is that right? still seems high he came down from 150. they are still young yet too... but i need one for my little cameo hen!

peafowl are getting addicting, i must stop here now and just hatch hatch hatch. ive got 3 incubators ready to go, 2 Redwood Leahy favorites and a sportsmen and my 3 old faithful little giants!

Back
Top Bottom