Don't you worry your pretty little head...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PotterWatch, Oct 20, 2011.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I ran into a guy today who seems to have this attitude when it comes to women and farming. He had come over last week to look at the irrigation equipment left by the people who recently moved out of our new farm. It seems the previous tenants took over half the irrigation pipe with them when they went [​IMG] . Anyway, this guy came to look things over and report back to the owners of the property so they can decide what to do about the guy who stole the stuff. He was giving us some advice and trying to be helpful, I guess. He was telling us that we can't do one thing or another, telling my husband he can't wear shorts out in the field and that farming isn't "cheap and easy like everyone thinks" [​IMG] . Gee, all this time I thought it was like walking on clouds made of rainbows and money rained down from the heavens!

Today he came over again to let us know what the owners of the property said about the pipe and to give us some suggestions about the pasture. I know we are new to farming and there is a lot of stuff we don't know, but I hate being treated like an imbecile. My husband was busy talking with a potential customer when the guy arrived and I was at the farm next door. When I got back, I saw the guy waiting and went over to see what he needed. I said hello and asked if I could help him. He told me he was just waiting until my husband was done talking and that he wanted to give us some ideas of what to do with the pasture. I said he could tell me his suggestions. He paused a minute and then said... "Well, he looks like he's just about done with that lady so I'll wait and talk to him." [​IMG] I just said "OK", turned around and walked away. He must have realized he had offended me so he said "I'm sure you two are partners in this but...", and trailed off. If only he knew that I know more about farming than my husband. The guy just doesn't like that we are farming differently than he is (we are farming organically and with animals rather than plants), and keeps trying to convince us it can't be done. He thinks we are just city slickers who are out to make a quick buck. [​IMG]

2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    That must be so annoying! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    It takes all kinds of people.

Really in our house I am the farmer. Born raised and bred farm girl and DH is born bred and raised to hunt and live off of the land. So we make a great team. People don't think that a nice lil lady like me should have anything to do with dirty farming and have been told I am to particular to be a farmer. What since I am clean and a neat freak I shouldn't farm? [​IMG] Or do they think that because I am a woman? [​IMG]

I am a 12th generation farmer and proud of it!

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

He sounds like an idiot. [​IMG] Just remember to take all this guys "advice" with a grain of salt! It always seems to be the true imbeciles who feel the need to tell everybody else how they should run things! For heaven's sake he's even telling your husband what to wear! The fact that he maybe isn't very familiar with, or doesn't see the value, in what you do will only make it worse!

Give him the cold shoulder, don't feed him and maybe he'll learn to stay away! [​IMG]

5. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    Hubbo and I have a joint checking account. Years ago, my brother and I decided to drive from Alabama to Arizona, to visit family. We had money in our pockets, but I went to the bank and asked the man that hubbo does business with, if something happened to the car in the middle of nowhere, would they cover a check for the repairs, and I would sign a loan when I got back? He looked and me, starting at the feet working up to my head, then back, and replied "Tell Don to call me".

I learned that if you aren't a good ole boy, then stay away from the club.

6. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    That guy really would not like my farm. We are two women farmers. [​IMG]

7. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I used to get this a lot with my business. I'd have people ask to speak to a man. [​IMG]

8. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Quote:Thats funny if anyone would ask to speak to the head of the household DH hands me the phone. I would have replied to someone asking to speak to a man as such.

Well if you need to talk to a man then you called the wrong number. [​IMG]

9. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Quote:How would Precious cope with 2 male drag wiccans raising baby elephants?

10. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I think a lot of people don't really know what women are capable of. My mum tells me stories from time to time of her own childhood, when she'd be the one tending the crops, feeding the animals, doing all the "dirty" work around the house while my uncle went up the mountains to chop firewood with their dad and little sister was spoiled by their mum. She's a pretty awesome woman. Only one out of her siblings to make it out of her hometown and go to university: I suppose hard work as a kid prepares you for what's to come later on in life. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by