Door/entrance question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by oskizzle, Aug 16, 2011.

1. oskizzle

oskizzle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2011
    I have been building a quail pen similar to this , and am curious how big I need to make the door/entrance for quail to get through? I'm looking for a height/width. My goal is to maximize protection/warmth in the wood enclosed area as we get cold winters in the midwest, so I want something that is big enough for bob white and/or coturnix quail to get through, yet minimize the amount of wind that will blow in.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    not sure about where you want them to get thru to... I'd build a door to access the cleaning of the pen, and to retrieve eggs, etc. as far as protecting from the wind you could always tarp it in the cold season, or add some other material on the exterior...

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine is similar to that and the 'door' between the open-air and enclosed sides is about 3" x 3" or at most 4" x4".

ETA: They could get through an opening as small as 2" x 2" but some of the dumber ones might try to push through 2 and 3 at a time and get stuck [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:The door the OP is referring to is probably between an enclosed side and the side open with wire. Kind of like a small coop with attached run [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by