Door for chickens...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blueheaven, Mar 12, 2009.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    i am putting a sliding door for my girls to enter the run. it will be accessable from the outside so i can open/close it without going into the coop/run. however, i was wondering about cloth/burlap over the door. do i need anything to keep the wind, etc out? i thought about a doggie door, but not sure a chicken could push it open.

ps - i am building a playhouse style coop with a nice size run.

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Where are you--what climate? I wouldn't worry about covering the doorway if it is only open during the day. I put a cloth on mine during the winter, as there was no door (inside their "coop" area), but I guess I should take it down now, as they don't much care for it.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other post. I wouldn't worry about covering the door either.

4. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    Hi! We took some clear plastic sheeting, kind of like the plastic that ziplock bags are made from, and made 3 inch strips that ran the full length of the door and hung them like vertical blinds and layered them.

now their door looks like a walk in freezer [​IMG] but they love it!

[​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We have an enclosed run and leave the pop door (slides up and down) open for ventilation.

6. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    The plastic strips sound like a good idea. I'm having to remake my slider because the wood track swelled in the rain. I'll try the plastic strips and see how they do.

You might want to check out the other user-friendly innovations I built into my coop. See it at my BYC Blog:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=17397

And then go to the link below for some really good fun.

7. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    Dr.Doorlock :

The plastic strips sound like a good idea. I'm having to remake my slider because the wood track swelled in the rain. I'll try the plastic strips and see how they do.

The plastic wrapped around the bottom of the coop is used for insulation, they had 2 feet of snow all around their coop when I took that picture [​IMG] it took them a little time to get used to going through the door but they eventually got the hang of it. Its cute at night when I check on them, i see their little heads poke out through the plastic like someone would through a shower curtain!

I visited your page and saw your chicken blinders. and nice coop design. how cute!​

8. blueheaven

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Quote:NEW...so it is ok to leave the door open all day/night when we are gone for a couple of days???

9. blueheaven

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Quote:sounds good. i will try that!
    thank you!

10. blueheaven

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Quote:Central Indiana!!!
    ??? need to keep the draft out during windy days or winter...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by