door for run made of 2x4's

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Marianne25, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Marianne25

Marianne25 Out Of The Brooder

Can anyone share pics of doors you have made for a run made of 2x4 framing? Our people door will go into the middle section of this panel (which is laying down on our garage floor). Any ideas/instructions/pics are appreciated!
    [​IMG]

2. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

The main gate is framed 2 x 3 dimensional lumber, not as stought as 2 X 4, but cheaper. The hinges are used door hinges, and the run is fenced using 1 x 2 welded wire. The latch is a simple gate latch.

[​IMG]

One thing...to get a nice tight fit on the gate, so there would not be a gap, I ran the leading edge of the gate through a table saw. I shaved off the edge at an angle of about 30 degrees.

From the top image you can see that the gate closes nice and tight.

I probably don't need to say this...but anyways...use screws, don't use nails.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Sassysouth

Sassysouth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2016
    Decatur, AL
    This is not ours, but my husband is planning on doing something like this on ours. The back side probably has a "Z" shape to hold it in place. We are doing 1/2" 360 degree hardware cloth enclosure. We have lots of predators.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. DisasterGuy

DisasterGuy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2016
    Eastern Shore of MD
    I had planned a door made from 2x4 but at the end of the day found it was much easier and not much more expensive to purchase a screen door from the hardware store and replace the screen with hardware cloth.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  5. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice...looks great

6. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Mine are basically like rock home isles except I use 3" deck screws on the corners with the ends not on a 45 and triangular pieces of plywood 12x12 for the corner braces

Predrill 1/8" pilot holes if screwing with any larger screw to minimize splitting

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  7. Sassysouth

Sassysouth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2016
    Decatur, AL
    The screen door is a great idea or a storm door, especially if you have a Habitat Restore in your area.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by