Door for the girls -size??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DLS, Oct 25, 2008.

1. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I have just been letting the girls go in & out the barn door. I should shut it it is getting cool at night now. I will cut a smaller door for them . How tall & how wide?

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    A door 12"H x 8"W is a little "squeezy" for my standards but I've chosen not to make it larger.

Honestly, I think they'd be more comfortable walking thru your wide barn door. Chickens seem to appreciate a full view of the space they are moving into. However, I'm more comfortable with their little door helping to keep the insulated part of their coop warmer.

Steve

edited to say, I bet a Cochin couldn't get thru there. The size would depend on breed.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  3. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    My door is 12W by 18H inches. I was putting them inside yesterday because I needed to leave for several hours. I left the door open only 5 inches and they squeezed back through to the pen. So, my conclusion is if they are determined they can get out through an astonishingly small opening.
    Apart from that, from what I have read my pop door is a good size. I may make it wider if my Light Brahmas show difficulty when they are full sized. Right now they are 17 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by