Door problem: the chickens kick dirt/bedding into the door jamb and the debris pries the door open

ChickenLove123

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Does anyone have an answer for this? I never anticipated this when building my coop and run. I suppose I could build doors so that they swing in instead of out, but that's not really practical.

Does anyone have an answer for this? I never anticipated this when building my coop and run. I suppose I could build doors so that they swing in instead of out, but that's not really practical.

Yes, I stapled a strip of inner-tube rubber over the hinge area. My pop door is hinged on the bottom and does duel purpose as it forms the ramp when opened. The strip of inner-tube rubber flexes and "pops off" the poo and debris allowing closure, been working for over twenty years now.

I attached a 2x6 to the inside wall so there is a wall width gap between the door and coop floor. This wasn't high enough so I added a 2x4 above it. They still kick stuff against the door bout not as much.

My door is raised 6" with a removeable kick board to make cleaning easier. I do deep litter method so it required doing it that way.

Back
Top Bottom