Door problem: the chickens kick dirt/bedding into the door jamb and the debris pries the door open

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenLove123, Mar 4, 2012.

1. ChickenLove123

ChickenLove123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Does anyone have an answer for this? I never anticipated this when building my coop and run. I suppose I could build doors so that they swing in instead of out, but that's not really practical.

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Building so it swings out would probably be best. Post so pics of the situation so we can get a better idea of the set up.

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Yes, I stapled a strip of inner-tube rubber over the hinge area. My pop door is hinged on the bottom and does duel purpose as it forms the ramp when opened. The strip of inner-tube rubber flexes and "pops off" the poo and debris allowing closure, been working for over twenty years now.

[​IMG]

4. bald egg

bald egg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I attached a 2x6 to the inside wall so there is a wall width gap between the door and coop floor. This wasn't high enough so I added a 2x4 above it. They still kick stuff against the door bout not as much.

5. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    raise the door...

6. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    My door is raised 6" with a removeable kick board to make cleaning easier. I do deep litter method so it required doing it that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by