1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dorbar

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by johnnymac221, Dec 20, 2011.

1. johnnymac221

johnnymac221 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Fort Payne
    Has anyone tried recreating the Dorbar breed? I'm very interested in doing this.

2. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Dorking X Dominique/Plymouth/Marans? That sounds like an autosexing breed. You'd have to cross Silver/Grey Dors with one of the other breeds (Female Dorking; using a male dorking for this cross would sexlink and mess up the whole situation), than interbreed the offspring, and there would be about a quarter of the F2s would be Dorbars and would breed true. All others would appear barred.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  3. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    Does the silver gene make this cross different than a "brown " gene as in a Legbar cross? To create Legbars you start with Brown Leghorn over Barred and use the F1 barred males over Brown Leghorn females. Then you breed those offspring together together to get Legbars.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    A Dordar is a Silver Gray Dorking (male) x Barred Plymouth Rock (female)
    I would amuse that the breeding would be the same as a Legbar
    [​IMG]

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by