Doris..what are her chances - need advice - sorry long

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jackiedon, Aug 19, 2007.

1. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    One of three chicks that hatched from this last hatched (the one the post office rubberband to my mailbox :thun But that's ok because I got 3 sweeties. JJ, I'm starting to think the phoenix is a male [​IMG] Anyhow the last one to hatch took a long time to hatch and it was very fraile. My 11 yr old cried all night watching that baby but we made it to daylight [​IMG]

Ok these chicks are 2 weeks old and the little frail one is still soooo small and frail (we call her Doris). She eats and drinks and wants to snuggle sooo bad. The phoenix surely isn't interested in snuggling and the other silkie tries. Doris is very loud and when she can't snuggle she lets us all know about it.

What is so strange about Doris is when I gave her a bath yesterday, she had poop on her. Her skin is not completely black she is half black and half white, she also has 5 toes on one foot and 4 on the other. Do you think she has a genetic disorder. She seems to breath very heavy but not as bad as in the beginning.

My 11 yr old and I have already decided that she just can not go outside when we move the others because we just don't think she will survive. BUT we know she will be very lonely in the house alone.

I have 4 two and half white silkie which is what Doris is and I've tried to slip her in but they are not keen on the idea and peck at her.

We love Doris very much!!!!!

jackie

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just make sure she eats and is getting the nutrition she needs. As the runt she may be driven away from the food. She'll probably gain strength over time if she is still alive. I bet she'll even be strong enough to go outside!

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Also, make certain the peep isn't chilly. Being the smallest it may not be getting the warmth it needs. A stuffed toy near the light might help a great deal.

The toes mean not much, the skin color could indicate a mix rather than pure bred. Although some will hatch with pink toes but that eventually darkens up.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Jackiedon.....Is there a way you can get her a feather duster? Hang it abouve the floor in the brooder....that way she can climb into/under it like she would a momma hen. When you put the others outside...she will probably start perking up a bit, just for the fact she will be able to get to the feed and water....without a fight.She surely sounds like she could benefit from a week of polyvisol...baby vitamins. I would go with a drop a day for a week. Should help build her strength. Good luck, and of course....we want pics!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by