Dorking Breeders and Experience with breed

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by SisterFlash, Dec 17, 2007.

1. SisterFlash

SisterFlash Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok in my quest to find a friendly white egg layer I was reading on the dorking. They also have a look I like plus appear to be really a docile bird.

So what are your experiences?

Are they productive layers similar to susex or other large breeds?

Anyone on the group breed Dorkings?

If so what colors?

I like the colored and red but the other colors are beautiful too.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

Barb [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm not a breeder, but have had Dorkings. They actually lay a tinted egg, which is like a very pale version of a brown egg. They are lovely birds and mine were very sweet. They are one of my favorite breeds and I would love to have some again. We had rose comb silver greys. I think the single comb silver grey might be the only recognized variety for showing, but I know there are show breeders working on the red variety. Gee, those roosters are handsome! I'm not sure about any of the other varieties. I know Sand Hill has quite a few different varieties, but their Dorkings sell out early in the year. I hope this helps.

3. SisterFlash

SisterFlash Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks so much WW.

I have been looking at sandhill but I have been convincing myself to hatch my own eggs. Glad to hear this breed is as nice as it claims to be.

thanks again for the info.

Barb [​IMG]

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You're very welcome! I've been thinking about getting more Dorkings, myself. I almost got some last year, but I gave in to my husband and got all Faverolles, as we both love them, also. I'm thinking the next chickens we add, I should pick! [​IMG]

He's thinking we don't need any more chickens. [​IMG]

I'm thinking I need Dorkings, buff Orpington, partridge rock and an Australorp! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by