Dorking Chickens - Establishing A Flock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Moonswimmer55, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Moonswimmer55

Moonswimmer55 Just Hatched

Mar 16, 2014
    I will be establishing a small flock and working to increase to a large breeding flock of these ancient birds. I would love to hear from others who have been keeping them as a backyard breeding flock.

2. wvchics

wvchics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2017
    Proctor, WV
    I just started my own flock. I have all buff Orpingtons. I bought 12 pullets and got a rooster. So, I decided to keep him, and next year I want to add some lavender orps. We'll see how it goes.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
  4. wvchics

wvchics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2017
    Proctor, WV
    My pullets are only 5 weeks right now. I think I'm going to stick with the Orpingtons though, and focus mostly on color. I have seen some beautiful crosses between the buffs and lavender, but I also think the black and blue are pretty also. I got my chicks at a feed store. However, I doubt I will do it again. All my chicks are really healthy, and I haven't had any problems. Still I am going to try to get any new chicks from individuals who have practiced selective breeding. I feel like I got lucky getting good healthy birds this time. Any other suggestions or information is welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by