Dorking

Chicken Woman

Incredible Egg
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
Montana
There is a lady not to far from me that has Dorking hens for sell. I was surprised when she said they were $50. each. Could that be right ?.

Are they from winning show stock or a rare color variety? If they're just from typical hatchery stock, that seems like too high a price. If they're high quality show stock, then that might be a very fair price. Top show stock can go for hundreds of dollars.

They are a very rare breed she could be correct on pricing if they are breeder or show quality not just ideal hatchery stock.

Henry

NPIP is a program to certify that chickens are free from particular diseases. In the state I live in, it's required to import chickens from another state, show your chickens or to sell them at a buy/sell/trade type of gathering.

As far as I know, no large hatchery sells red or colored Dorkings, just the silver gray. Sandhill does have several different varieties. It's a smaller family run business. I don't know what the quality of his Dorkings is like. It's quite possible that she is selling show quality chickens. A good silver gray is so beautiful. Reds are pretty hard to come by, as are the colored. I would love to have some nice reds! And some really good quality silver grays again! If they are nice looking chickens, I would pay that. They were my favorite breed, of all the chickens I've had.

Are you interested in getting some Dorkings? Breeding at all? If so, you could always talk to her a little bit and see if she shows them or how long she's been working with them.

Like these two beauties?

dorksdrive.jpg

I traded 5 baby pigeons for them

v99

Last edited:
Quote:
If they're from Blackdiamondguestranch YOU lucked out. Jeane has awesome birds. I can't get birds from her but I can get eggs and will next year. The folks I know who have gotten eggs and hatched them have been delighted.

If they're Jeane's birds she's been working on them awhile and they are worth it.

If they're hatchery, forget it, get an incubator and hatch eggs from a breeder
smile.png
Once you have an incubator, with some practice any breed can be yours
smile.png

If I were near Jeane I'd have already shown up on her doorstep.

Back
Top Bottom