Dorkings for table birds

jgervais

Songster
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Jackson, MI
I almost feel bad having plans of serving such a pretty and rare bird for dinner.... But I just bought 19 over the weekend and thats the plan once they reach about 5 months. I will keep 2-3 hens and 1 rooster to breed for next years batch - the benefit of having a true breed as a table bird!

Anyone have a good experience with Dorkings for 'production' meat birds (obviously no real profit to be made)....

Heres some pics of the new babies:
http://simplelifeainteasy.blogspot.com/2011/07/dorkings.html

I too am really interested in this, and will be subscribing to this thread.
smile.png
I'm hoping to raise some dorkings someday for that purpose as well. And don't feel bad eating them, that's what they're meant for!
lol.png
Feel proud instead!
thumbsup.gif

Good luck to you!

Dorkings are the ultimate dual purpose bird and have won several taste tastings as best tasting heritage bird. I think you made a wise decision.
I keep going back and forth about dorkings and their huge combs. I really don't want to deal with frozen combs this winter.

Last edited:
Thanks! I cant wait to try one, they take so long to mature compared to a meatie, but i really think it will be worth the wait.

I'm hoping the combs arent too much of a problem, the woman I got mine from has several that shes had for a few winters and never any problems. There was once when the barn was left open and very drafty and one of her roosters experienced some frostbite - but no other problems in a regular coop closed in from drafts.

Doesn't Sandhill have some (non-standard) Dorkings with Rose combs...? Large combs should be easy to breed out too, if you wanted to go there...

Please keep us posted on how they work for you.

I'm very interesting in the Dorkings and would like to hear real life experiences and not have to rely upon all the glowing advertising by folks who are selling them, so have ulterior motives.

Quote:
Will do - I'm the same way, theres so much info good and bad about each DP breed and also about meaties - hard to get a straight answer sometimes.
Can't wait to have some first hand experience. We will also be processing our EE Roo and maybe one of our Barred Rocks just to get some idea of what other DP breeds dress out like. Always good to have some comparison.

I will keep progress on my blog and also post it here - I love the BYC forum!
simplelifeainteasy.blogspot.com

Back
Top Bottom