Dorkings

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by goosemama, Oct 14, 2009.

1. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    Have been reading a lot about the good egg laying habits and meat qualities of Dorkings - an old breed from days of Romans in Britain. I would really like to learn more and see about adding them to my flock. Does anyone on the Forum breed them? Love to hear from you.

2. goosemama

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    Thanks for your reply - yes I have done a search and found that Sandhill Preservation hatchery does carry them but is sold out for 2009. They also only ship a min of 25 (which is too many for me). Even if I found a breeder its probably too late in the year to ship a small number of chicks to stay warm. But am trying to find a hatchery or individual that sells the white or silver backed Dorking - hopefully for next year.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Good luck! I would love to add some to my flock, but you have to order them early in the spring.

Try McMurray hatchery-they start taking orders January 4 for next year.

4. goosemama

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    Thanks for the tip! I do appreciate it.

5. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I would be surprised if you were unable to find someone in the area that is willing to split an order with you.

6. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I am a member of Dorking Breeders Club. Decent Dorking seem to be rather thin on the ground. From what I've been reading it could be well worth contacting the breed club if you want to obtain nicer dorkings from proper breeders. Recently some people have been rather dissapointed with the birds they've bought.

http://www.dorkingbreedersclub.com/

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by