Dorothy the hen sitting on 12 lovely eggs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Squirtchy2009, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    My broody light sussex is now sitting on 12 eggs [​IMG] i was saying to my friend earlier, even if only 5 hatch i would be proud, im only 15 and this would be my first hatch, after this off to buy an bator:D[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ dorothy in her home made coop, made out of a storage box and sheets of old ply wood [​IMG]

I am on day 12 at the moment, for the first silkie eggs and this is the first day for the other 6 my only worrie is that when the first lot hatch, she willl get off the others :s but im sure i could find a broody hen to home them if that happens [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

wew, she is beautiful. [​IMG]

don't worry, many hens sitting done much much better result than we human done in incubator.

beside, you don't need any thermohygro,thermostat,styrofoam, etc. just make sure she is safe and fed well.

hope she is doing her best for you. [​IMG]

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    [​IMG] Congrats on your broody hen.

My broody just hatched 10 out of 12 and I was really happy. Better than I was expecting.

Good luck and keep us posted. [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    nothing better than a hen incubator.

Buy a regular incubator for emergencies.

5. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

wew, you make double thread. [​IMG]

how can i even don't realize that you've double threaded it, i just realize it after i see 1 thread is locked by admin. [​IMG]

a little disappointing but well i'll forget it.

6. Squirtchy2009

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Ohh Cr*ap sorry bout double threading, the other thread was meant to be like a question ' is 12 eggs to many' ut i guess i didnt phrase if well enough [​IMG] ohh well, got caught up in the exitment to much i supose [​IMG]

7. Squirtchy2009

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    OK [​IMG] this is it, my first hatch, well not really cos im not bating myself but still my first ever egg hatching from its real mother, i saw a crack and can hear chirping inside im waking up nice and early tomorrow to see what natures brung me [​IMG]

I cant wait !!!

Pics up as soon as they hatch !

8. buglit

buglit Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    How fun!!

Question, why do so many people try to incubate their own eggs when all that they need is a broody hen? I don't get why people are willing to lose so many eggs, worry about heat, humidity, etc. when nature can do it with no work on our behalf and do it 10x better. Not trying to bash anyone, I just don't understand.

9. Squirtchy2009

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Quote:I can see where you are coming from i wouldnt know as i dont have a bator yet, anyone else be able to tell us why you have bators?

10. RedStarDaddy

RedStarDaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    There are times one has eggs to hatch and does not have a broody hen to hatch them under. One cannot tell a hen she will be broody -- well, one could but the hen won't listen.

One may also have more eggs to hatch than one has broodies to hatch them.

RSD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by