Do's and dont's for a "living room" coop? Building housing indoors?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dudu, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    ─Žal Luqa, Malta
    I tried a search on the forum but didn't find a thread about "coops" for indoor chickens. Our three (Greta, Annie and Robbie) live in a canary crate right now but they're outgrowing it fast and need a better place. My partner is going to build one and I was wondering what are the things, from experience, to look out for. E.g. right now when they take a dust bath in the wood shavings, a lot is thrown out of the crate through the wire and on the floor. Going to fix that problem, but what else? What materials did you use, how did you make it fit into your house to look more or less civilized (not to shock visitors, LMAO!)? (though that's my least worry really) What about a nest/box? Where do they go for their exercise, apart from being let out in the room? Pictures would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Mamahalo

Mamahalo Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Tallahassee
    You are a brave, brave soul... or maybe just touched in the head Lol, wish I had the guts to let the ladies live inside!Maybe some thick clear plastic around the base of the crate to keep debris contained for now.

I turned an old freezer into a brooder using old screen windows. Sits in my screened porch right now, looks nice and unassuming. Maybe you can use something like thatto start. I envision something like a huge parrot cage with lots of perches/roosts planks on multiple levels so they can hop up on stuff to see out. But all the junk can fall to the bottom for easy cleaning - deep litter method?

I dunno. Good luck

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My Do's - Do build them an outside coop. [​IMG]
    My Don'ts - Don't allow them to have a living room coop. [​IMG]

4. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    I think the reason that you can't find pictures of indoor coops is that people don't keep their chickens indoors, except for a short brooding period or for convalescence. The amount of dust they generate is pretty significant and don't want to be living and breathing airborne chicken poop dust all day. It will get into your furniture, your bed, your clothes, your food. Daily living in close contact with livestock is how bird flu manifested in Asia. Chickens also smell, you may not notice it but anyone walking into your house will.

Build them a coop and run outside, you will all be happier and healthier.

Just my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  5. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, Times 2 on build them a coop outside.....where they belong.

6. AnnieAlbright

AnnieAlbright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Monmouth County, NJ
    Don't do it! Our 6 girls were inside a few weeks longer then they should have been, split between 2 rabbit cages while the coop was being completed. They were in a large spare room with the door closed to the rest of the house. The room was constantly coated in a layer of sawdust, feathers, and poop. I couldn't stay in the room for more then 10 minutes because of the dust. It was also hard to keep the smell down because they didn't have a run to poop in. They have been out in the yard for a few weeks now and the room still has a faint smell. There is no way having chickens in the house can be healthy. Sorry to be a bummer. [​IMG]

7. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Quote:x2

8. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    In my opinion chickens would be happier outside. That is their natural environment.

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I totally agree. [​IMG]

10. wishingbee

wishingbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    SW Washington
    You sound like a brave soul! I'm sure someone out there has also kept indoor chickens successfully! [​IMG]

How about using a kitchen cabinet for a coop? I thought this was a clever idea- Cabinet Coop Could be very inexpensive to build, too!

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by