dos and don'ts for goose egg incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stabley1991, Apr 7, 2009.

1. stabley1991

stabley1991 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Hull
    I have lots of goose eggs because my geese that i incubated last year are laying. I know the hatch rate isn't great but i wondered what you should and shouldn't do when incubating them as im not that sure.[​IMG]

any advice would be great [​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I am not shure myself but good luck , you may allso try posting in the place further down the index about geese and ducks and such.

3. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:the geese won't set on them?

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    not all birds go broody. it is a hormonal thing. there is no 'making' them brood.

do not post a separate thread for this same topic in another area. that would be considered spamming by the mods.

Miss Prissy gave me this info for incubating goose eggs:

Temp- 99.5
    Humidity 65% until Day 25
    Humidity 85% Day 26 - Hatch

Days 1 - 4 only touch to turn three times each day.
    Days 5 - 25 remove eggs to cool for 15 minutes then mist with warm water and replace in bator. turn three times each day.
    Days 26 - Hatch mist until they pip into air cell. no turning.

hope this is helpful. so far it's working well with my eggs in the bator right now. [​IMG]

5. stabley1991

Apr 6, 2009
    Hull
    Quote:I didnt realise there was a different area when i posted it =/. Is there a way to move the whole thread?
    Quote:They've laid lots of eggs but they are only sitting on the nest at night and leaving it in the day,

I have a few in the incubator at the min I think there's only going to 5 that might hatch.

I dont have anything to measure the humidity with but i have the incubator set up at 37.2*C and theres water in with them.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:5 is a good hatch!!!! they are not the easiest apparently. how many total did you set?

your post is fine where it is and if you feel it's not in the right area, just ask a Mod to move it if they have a good suggestion as to where. [​IMG]

7. stabley1991

Apr 6, 2009
    Hull
    Well my mum and dad bought 4 from an auction and i put in 8 of the eggs from my geese. I think theres 1 from the auction ones and 4 from mine.

I got 3 last year so hopefully if all the ones i think might hatch from this year hatch, its an inmprovement. [​IMG]

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:thankies MJ [​IMG] ,, some dude just brought me 3 goose eggs to try out [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Quote:sorry I just thought he water fowl section would be a good place for goose info , So dont listen to me aprantly [​IMG]

10. stabley1991

Apr 6, 2009
    Hull
    Quote:Good luck [​IMG] it's worth the wait

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by