dosage for droppers of aspirin?

GretchenM

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Hi, all,

One of our 2 1/2 y-o hens seems to have displaced or injured one hip, based on how she moves that leg. She can get around pretty well most days, but when it rains,she barely uses that leg, almost dragging it. So whatever the original cause,she acts as if she has arthritis. I want to give her aspirin to see if it helps on those bad days. I've found the ratio for the mix, but if I give it to her with a dropper, any idea how much I should give? We have 35 hens, so I don't want to put it in the general drinking water (I see some comments expressing concern about long-term effect).

Thanks very much for any thoughts!

Thank you, Farm Girl! I've consistently seen 5 regular aspirin per gallon of water, but I hadn't seen anything about administering to a single chicken. You do this once a day?

This is very helpful! Thank you!

I dose my bird morning and evening on days that she seems to be a little more sore.

As ten chicks advised just do be careful if you do give via syringe. That's why I like mixing the aspirin with a little buttermilk, it's thicker and easier to dribble slowly into their beak. But I prefer dosing that way so I know she gets all of it. My hen actually has come to enjoy her little shots of buttermilk when she's feeling gimpy!

I give one baby aspirin per 3 lb's of body weight twice a day. I crush them up between two spoons, add just a bit of buttermilk and suck it all up into a needless syringe.

Hope this helps. I had previously tried figuring out the dose when larger quantities are made but this was much easier.

Last edited:
Thank you, Farm Girl! I've consistently seen 5 regular aspirin per gallon of water, but I hadn't seen anything about administering to a single chicken. You do this once a day?

Be careful with giving water with syringe,you don't want to aspirate chicken. The dose i use is either a baby aspirin 81mg or a reg 325mg aspirin. Dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,i crush and place in water,and give to only the ill chicken.

Last edited:
OH, thanks very much for that, Ten. I wouldn't have thought of it, honestly. Maybe I"ll mix the aspirin with some yogurt or something and give just to the gimp.

Back
Top Bottom