Dosage for duramycin 10

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TripMomma, Feb 3, 2015.

1. TripMomma

TripMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    I have a week old baby breathing fast and hard. This is what my feed store had, it is the water soluble powder. Does anyone know the dose per gallon for baby chicks?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Is this the one that may have been aspirated? I would hold off on antibiotics until this click turns into a rattle or more than a click. Antibiotics are hard on tiny chicks kidneys and liver so wait until she really needs them.

The dosage is the same for chickens or chicks alike...1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Change and make new daily.

3. TripMomma

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Ok, I will wait. I just wish there was something I could do :(
    Thanks.

4. Kadu

Kadu Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    I didn't think Duramycin is for breathing problems. Well I'm no expert, but I gave it to my flock because they started sneezing bad. I realized they got sick because they were stressed. They are doing fine now, but I can't use their eggs for another 3 weeks or so. I also read an article about how Duramycin will actually contaminate all of the eggs in a hen because the drug is absorbed by the yolk, not the white. Well, I'm gonna ignore that part and eat the eggs anyway lol cz the author wasn't really qualified to scientifically prove that the info is accurate. I did read a research paper about the residue in the eggs, and its at a minimum around 3-4 weeks (I can't remember an exact number) after stopping the dosage.

ANYWAY, lol in your case, maybe you can try a lower dose. I initially gave only a teaspoon for a gallon and that worked okay. But then the rest of the flock got it and it was bad, so I had to increase the dosage. oh but the chicks are so tiny I don't know if they can handle it! =(

Are you sure they don't have anything stuck in their nose or something? like do you have marbles in the water? Maybe every time it tries to drink, the beak goes in too far into the water?

5. TripMomma

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Thanks. I am holding off on the meds for now.

We don't have marbles in the water, but they all drink fine without sneezing or acting like they are getting water up their noses.

If she did aspirate it is probably my fault, maybe when I dipped her beak in when they first got here I dipped too far, I don't know. I'm just hoping she pulls through. She is still eating and drinking and pooping normally, today is day 3 of the heavy breathing...so I suppose it could still get worse :(

6. Kadu

Kadu Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    I hope she gets better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by