Dosage For This Wormer?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fur-N-Fowl, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Hello Everyone!
    :frow

This weekend a family member of mine traveled over to Zwolle to go to the huge bird sale they have.

When he was there, I asked him to keep a look out for a wormer for my chickens that contained Fenbendazole. He done just that and got me one!

Apparently there wasn't many to choose from but he managed to get me Meranox (by Avi Medical).

Of course, the whole box is in German so I had a search and found some English information on it:

https://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/productinformationdatabase/SPC_Documents/SPC_1173216.DOCX

http://mri.cts-mrp.eu/Veterinary/Downloads/UK_V_0593_001_PAR.pdf

It's a wormer for pigeons and as they always say "isn't intended for use on chickens" but that will be my use.

Has anyone ever used this wormer?

Should I work off the dosage stated on the English sites?

Anything else I should know before I use it?​

2. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    My guess is do what the English site says. Look reasonable to me. But I am not 100% sure

Fur-N-Fowl likes this.
  3. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    I'll work out their weight and give them all a dose of it and see how they go. It's genuine wormer with the same ingredients as wormers in the UK it's just with it all being in German, it's pretty difficult to understand :gig

One of the sites I linked is a gov site so it should be accurate information I guess!

Thankyou :)

4. pibb

pibb Songster

Dec 12, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    http://mri.cts-mrp.eu/Veterinary/Product/Details/2410
    According to that, it is Fenbendazole 25 mg/ml. Does it say that on the package?

If it does, then it is basically Safeguard diluted 4x so you can take the Safeguard chicken dose and multiply it by 4. (0.23 ml x 4 = 0.92ml per lb of bodyweight)
    So you will give that medicine orally 5 days in a row at 0.92 ml per lb of chicken.

Eggcessive, Fur-N-Fowl and Wyorp Rock like this.
  5. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Oh right, yes it does say that!

So just give them 0.92ml per lb of chicken...alright!

On the site I read it said to give them it the first day and then give another dose 14 days later. Should I just give it for 5 days in a row instead?

Texas Kiki likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Give it once and again in 14 days for roundworms and cecal worms, but give it for 5 consecutive days to kill possible capillary or gapeworms. Capillary worms can be fatal.

7. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Thankyou, I will do that!

They aren't showing any signs of worms at all but they're due to be done now that showing is finished for the year.

I'll start with them tomorrow, Thankyou for everyone's help!

pibb likes this.
  8. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    I'm posting back here to save on making another thread, maybe one of you guys who previously helped will have some knowledge on this! :)

I got some Harkers which is used on pigeons for lice, mites and worms.

I got the Harka-Mectin which
    Contains lvermectin 0.35% w/v.

I'm sure I read somewhere that chickens should have 0.5%?

Since 0.35% is lower than the chicken dosage, should I add extra drops when giving the treatment?

I believe the dosage for pigeons is two drops on the skin.

I won't be using this at the same time as the wormer I got previously. This is mainly for after shows if there is any lice/mite scares. Just to have as a back up to my regular powders I use!

Of course, this isn't licenced for use on poultry, it's intended for pigeons.

IMG_1153.JPG

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Ivermectin is not really good for treating worms in chickens, and it has a long egg withdrawal time. Most do not recommend it for chickens at all, but if a vet recommends it, it is mainly is used for lice or mites. Flubenvet would be best for worms where you live.

Fur-N-Fowl likes this.
  10. Fur-N-Fowl

Fur-N-Fowl Songster

May 25, 2019
    UK
    Ah yes as stated it isn't being used with worming as the main purpose, I use wormers with fenbendazole for that. The other wormer I originally created this thread for is what I will worm with.

This will be used as a quick spot on that is additional to use on my chickens rather than just louse powder as a way of treating external parasites if I ever have too.

Unfortunately Harkers don't create a treatment that only targets external parasites, all work against internal parasites of pigeons.

Egg withdrawal isn't an issue as all eggs from my Silkies are used for hatching only and not for eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: