Dosage help for Sulmet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 4luvofchickens, Jul 29, 2010.

1. 4luvofchickens

4luvofchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Northern NY
    Hello. I am new to the forum and hope someone can help. I am a first time chicken owner and kind of in panic mode. Does anyone know the correct dosage of sulmet for 15 week old pullets? I have noticed bloody droppings and today they spent a big portion of the day laying around. I will be purchasing Sulmet tomorrow and want to make sure I know how much to give them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    It should be clearly printed on the packaging it comes in, it's the law! [​IMG] Good luck with your birds, hope they are ok!

3. 4luvofchickens

Jul 29, 2010
    Northern NY
    Okay. I can't get it till morning so I wasn't sure and didn't want to delay treatment. Thanks so much.

4. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    I just did this on Wed for my chicks, so here's the math I did, adjusted to your chicks' ages.
    It says on the label that 100 turkeys drink 1 gallon of water/day for each week of age, and chickens half that. So the process for chickens:
    200 chickens= 1 gallon/day for one week olds
    200 chickens= 15 gal/day for 15 week olds, or 15/200= .075 gallons per 15 wk old chicken.
    Mix 2 tbsp per gallon of water (double check this on the label, though, cuz I'm doing it from memory)
    For smaller amounts:
    1 tbsp per 1/2 gallon
    1/2 tbsp per quart
    The dosing is the same no matter what age, but you have to make fresh medicine every morning. You can't mix up a 5 gallon bucket and let them drink it until its gone (unless they drink it all in one day)

I also added electrolytes to the water. I had to eyedropper in the water because my chicks were so lethargic. They perked up in just a few hours, but as of last night, they all seemed healthy (knock on wood)!

5. 4luvofchickens

Jul 29, 2010
    Northern NY
    Thank you so much! I am glad your flock turned out okay, hopefully mine will too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by