dose any one have any incubator this big

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mbnewby, Mar 19, 2011.

1. mbnewby

mbnewby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    im in the middle of building a new incubator with bigger capacity the new incubator is 4 feet wide three feet tall in side and two feet deep any idea how many eggs i c should be able to get in this mamath

2. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    that is insanely huge! [​IMG]
    I have no idea how many eggs you can fit in that thing but wonder what kind of heat source you need to keep it stable. Mine runs with a 60 watt and a 25 watt light bulb [​IMG]

do post pics when you're don't though

3. mbnewby

May 14, 2010
    its got bottom 1/2 inch wall plywood outer shell inch foam center core back wall is 3/4 inch plywood half inch foam core and 1/2 inside wall of plywood end side are 1/2 plywood 1 inch foam core and another shell of 1/2 inner wall of plywood top is 1 inch this plywood with inch foam core and 1/2 inner wall of plywood doors will have double glass pain with inche thic with 1/4 inch plex glass I will post pictures and how well i hope it to work

4. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Wow! [​IMG]

It sounds like the incubator will hatch eggs and be a mini fortress!

5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Depends of number of trays times single tray area. Do your math and figure it out.

Nobody else can answer this question for you with any credibility.

Also if your bator is 4 feet wide I believe 2 feet depth is insufficient to achieve even and efficient air flow.

If I was building a large bator I'd copy Sportsman desing to some point, making all walls proportionally larger retaining it's overall shape.

6. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    My bator is 36" by 16". It will safely hold 60 to 70 eggs.

I'd bet your's can hold twice that or more.

The next question is -can you brood 140 chicks? They take a lot more space.

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    The Dickey I borrowed was 3 ft high by about 18 inches wide and 2 1/2 feet deep. It held over 300 eggs.

8. mbnewby

May 14, 2010
    i am adding space to have more brood space my curent small bator with single egg shelfs i got 60 plus eggs in there

9. Hi! I've got a large incubator in the works --- made from an old chest-of-drawers. It has 4 trays with space for 110 eggs (approx) per tray. There may be space for a 5th tray, but not sure.
    It'll have an attached hatcher with an independent heating element / thermostat and space for 200 (approx) eggs.
    HAS ANYONE SEEN MY JIGSAW? I can't mount the thermostats until I find my jigsaw!!!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by