dosing 0.06ml ivomec inj. per bird????????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chooniecat, Nov 28, 2010.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I am ready to pop a vein ,forgive me,but I spent a half hour this morning dosing my chickens/ducks with ivomec injectable via the vets instructions(????) I THOUGHT and it occured to me(I think slow) that I did not give enough. he instructed 0.06 ml per bird and I was using a 30 unit insulin syringe(which says 3/10 cc on it) so why in goodness gracious I didn't question dosage before I don't know.(grrrr) forgive me again. my question IS, and please don't answer with "I think" because thats all I am getting here at home, if using a 3 cc syringe(which I happen to keep on hand) would 0.06 ml be 6/10 of a cc? and please don't tell me to just put it in water. I AM doing the individual dosing as I only have 26 chix/2 duck. I am only frustrated with the situation so PLEASE don't get offended. I believe I severely UNDERDOSED everyone and although it was easy enuf to handle them I got scratched and pooped. FORGIVE MY TONE. its my fault for not questioning vet more.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I don't know about the insulin syringe, but

0.6 cc = 6/10 cc

0.06 cc = 6/100 cc

You should NOT be using a 3cc syringe for 0.06 cc.
    Use a 1cc syringe.

3/10 cc = 0.3 cc

Did the vet give you the insulin syringe to use? If your insulin syringe SAYS it is 0.3 cc, then there should be enough markings on it for you to give the miniscule 0.06cc dose (I think?).

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Ok, I won't tell you to put in 1 1/2 ml per gallon of water.....

.06 would be less than 1/10 of a ml.

.1 = 1/10
    .2 = 2/10

etc

If you gave .6 of a cc it would indicate you have given the birds ten times the dose the vet recommended.

4. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I DO understand why people want to smack me. trust me. the syringe I was given is a 30 unit insulin syringe(aka 3/10 cc) it is marked in UNITS(and I am a diabetic so I know how to do that but I can't tell you how many cc's or ml's a UNIT is)so I have this 30 UNIT syringe and the chickens each got appx. 1 unit(seemed easier than .06 of a unit) and my eyesight was squabbly. so now I don't know WHERE I got the idea that was correct. I will see if I have any 1 cc syringes. So the 3 cc is marked in .10 marks correct?(example 1 cc has 10 little seperate marks under it each measuring .10 cc,right?) and you're wondering how I haven't managed to kill myself yet being a diabetic. I have too many numbers in my head but I know units for carbs.

5. exoticduckluvr

exoticduckluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Vancleave
    forgive me for a stupid question but why would the vet want you to give 6/10 of a cc to each chicken when you only give a dog 1/10 cc per 10 lbs. ex 30 lb dog gets 3/10cc

6. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    forgive me for a stupid question but why would the vet want you to give 6/10 of a cc to each chicken when you only give a dog 1/10 cc per 10 lbs. ex 30 lb dog gets 3/10cc

.06 not .6

Yep on a 1 ml/cc syringe each mark or 10 units is 1 ml.

ETA: Ok, I looked up a 30 unit syringe on the internet. It is a .30 ml syringe. So, you would need to see if there are any marks on the barrel to see where appx .06 would be.​

7. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    OK-I am not sure what you're asking but the 30 unit insulin syringe has markings of each 5 units on it(5,10,15-up to 30 units. )I guess we'd have to know how many of the UNITS it takes to make a cc. my brain hurts. I can't find a 1 cc syringe so maybe they sell them in a store?(I actually worked 30 yrs. at vet. college,cleaning cages mind you, thank God) I got the 3 cc at work.

8. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    100 units would make 1 cc or ml.

Your syringe is only 3/10 of a cc or ml.

So your dose would be just a hair over the 5 unit mark.

9. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    it has markings between the 5-10 -15 so on so getting the .06 will be easy. THANKS. I actually guessed that earlier but my son didn't think I was correct. anyhow-will dose them again in the morning with the .05 I didn't get in them today. THANKS again for your extreme patience. katy

10. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

pips&peeps :

Ok, I won't tell you to put in 1 1/2 ml per gallon of water.....

.06 would be less than 1/10 of a ml.

.1 = 1/10
    .2 = 2/10

etc

If you gave .6 of a cc it would indicate you have given the birds ten times the dose the vet recommended.

Hi,I've never used ivomec.You mentioned water but I thought that ivomec and water didn't mix well.What do I need to know?I wanted to use ivomec to worm my chickens but when I checked for info everyone seemed to have something different to say so I didn't use it.
    Thanks​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by