Dots on Comb?? PICS posted - thoughts?? Thank you!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mcf3kids, Nov 4, 2011.

1. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    It has recently dropped in temperature here and I first noticed dark dots on one of my 6 month old hens comb yesterday. She has the largest floppiest comb. Today I noticed several of my hens have these dark dots on their combs. They don't brush off or move so am I correct to think they are not mites? Could this be a temperature thing? It has only gone down into the 20's for a low outdoor temp. They have a nice coop with lots of pine bedding to stay warm in and are protected very well from the elements. Thoughts???

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Frost-bite? [​IMG] This is my first winter with chickens, too. I'm nervous about it.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    If the spots are tiny and black they are probably from being pecked occ. If the combs are purple blotched or white edged it is frost bite. Chickens have a pecking order and they get pecked lightly quite often roos too. Gloria Jean

4. mcf3kids

Mar 24, 2011
    [​IMG]

Pecked?? Frostbite?? Mites??

[​IMG]

Another view of the same chicken.

[​IMG]

The black dots on the comb on this one as well. The chickens with smaller combs have single small dark dots. Thanks for your help!!

5. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
  6. mcf3kids

Mar 24, 2011
    Thank you I looked up Fowl Pox and it is possible we are def. in mosquito territory! I will watch them and see I guess. Hope if it is Fowl Pox that it stays the dry kind and not the wet - yuck! Anybody else have any thoughts on this for me? Wish I could change the title to say I have pictures now - please look [​IMG] but I don't know how [​IMG]

7. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    go to your first post and hit edit, it will allow you to change the title

8. rc14

rc14 New Egg

Nov 8, 2014

What was this diagnosed as? My hen is showing similar symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by