1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Double check me on these red sex links?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Colorado Chick, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Colorado Chick

Colorado Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

I ordered two red sex links, and impulse bought the buff orphington. I know that rsl's can come in a variety of patterns, but I just wanted to double check with you that the two hens in front are indeed rsl's. I just have yet to see rsl's with such unique patterns and color. That and I just wanted to show off my three girls :) thanks for your input!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That is some nice lacing, not sure, but they look like sex links.

3. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    Bean (in the front) and Jiffy (in the middle) do have some really nice lacing. My husband will be eyeing their molted Feathers for fly tying I'm sure next year! They turned out alot prettier than I expected. I'm sure they are rsl's, but I just wanted confirmation from those who really know what they're talking about! Thank you!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Both of them definitely look like Red Sex Links. RSLs are laying machines. You should get loads of eggs from those girls. :eek:)

5. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    Thanks. You are very right about them being laying machines. My three adult hens are rsl's, and they are just that. Except one, she got sour crop in the spring, and hasn't laid since. She is a whole other post....:)

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. I'm sorry about the sour crop. :eek:(

7. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    She pulled through it just fine, but like I said hasn't laid since. I made a few posts on here, but no one seemed to be able to help. Now she has a large mass in her. Immediately after her sour crop I watched for egg binding, and she never had an issue. But now a few months later like I said I found a large long mass that she can't pass. Her ability to pass stool is just fine, an in every other respect she seems happy and healthy. She eats and passes stool regularly. She has a small amount of fluid inh her belly, and all the warms baths, laxatives, and calcium did help with that, but not that mass. Anyway, any ideas would be helpful! Thanks!

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

9. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    Ha ha. Thanks :)

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon