double check new Accurites

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BeardedChick, Dec 4, 2008.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Thought I'd post this as my new Accurite probe temperature has drifted lower and lower... It's been sitting on my coffee table for a week.

At first it was just off by a couple of degrees, which caused me greatest frustration in trying to get my 'bator the right temperature.

Now, it's either 71 degrees in here or else it's 10 degrees. Who can tell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Just thought I'd post it for you new incubator nuts out there.

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I had some problems with mine this last incubation. It would pop from 95 to 101 in seconds. I'll have to get a new one for spring, but I'm considering selling my redwood bator for something smaller...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    What is the second temperature supposed to represent? Is it the temperature difference or something?

4. BeardedChick

The second temperature is the reading from the probe. The probe is sitting right there on the coffee table, too. So the probe is telling me the room temperature is 10 degrees, when it's actually 70!

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:First is temp inside. Second is temp outside.

6. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Get the probe out of the ice water on your desk! LOL.... [​IMG]

Sorry, really that is so strange. Wonder why it works like that! [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Silly question, but is your coffee table glass? That would definitely be colder, but not that cold. I really don't know, I would take it back! Does it do the same when it's in your incubator?

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    maybe the top bar of the indicator is out. I would go exchange it in any case

9. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    have you tried putting probe in a wigglerthats been in the room a couple hours?

10. BeardedChick

The table top is wood, not glass. That's a good guess, though.

I have a second Accurite that is sitting near it, and it has the correct temps for the probe so I am sure it's the probe.

The probe also had terrible problems when it was in the wiggler. But at first, it was only a few degrees off, and it would sort of drift lower and lower through the day. So me - I adjust the 'bater warmer and warmer thinking it was the thermostat!

I ended up solving the problem by purchasing an expensive probe thermometer that I can trust + a digital thermostat.

But I thought it would behoove newbies to know that just because the name sounds like it would be 'Accurate', they are not necessarily.

OH, and I had returned one that I bought at the same time that was patently not working. So I have to wonder if there's a bad batch of them out there...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by