Double checking - a cracked egg is a bad egg, right?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tatuana, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    Idiot question time! I'm sure the answer is toss it, but I always like triple checking.

I received a batch of eggs today. One has a crack down the side and was slightly wet. That means the membrane broke, right? And the egg is a dud?

I'm about to strangle my mailman. The eggs said "Fragile" and he tossed it on my porch anyway.

CaramelKittey likes this.
  2. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    If there is fluid leaking out Idk what you can do. For normal cracks I use nail polish.

3. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yeah if it’s leaking, the membrane is broke. I don’t believe you can fix that. If it was just the shell I have a few solutions.

4. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Songster

Feb 15, 2019
    New Jersey
    Sorry about your cracked egg. Near Christmas, a mailman left a tablet we ordered out in a cardboard box in the rain. It was totally destroyed. Had another mailman drop and leave a check for $700 in a puddle.
    When will they learn?

Congratulations on your eggs! Are you hatching them?

5. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    That's scary! Mine is usually pretty good. Lately he's been sloppy, though. My neighborhood is "upper class" and doesn't put up with garbage. If he keeps it up someone will likely complain.

Yup! I bought some eggs from someone on here. The batch failed, and they were super kind to send me another dozen to try. The air cells got scrambled in transit again, but I'm forever hopeful.

Thanks everyone! I figured the egg was worthless, but I'm paranoid. Always better to double check, right? At least I have 11 beautiful eggs to hatch still.

6. Unicorns and Satyrs

Unicorns and Satyrs In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019
    I received 14 Ayam Cemani eggs in the mail today. Packaged very nicely. The box was marked with a big sticker “live animals inside” and guess what? The bottom of the box was smashed in. WHOOO DOES THAT?!? Im never using usps again. EVER.

7. Tatuana

Tatuana Songster

Dec 30, 2018
    Utah
    My husband is in England until the paperwork goes through in a year or so. He often sends me packages of sweets and the like. I've never gotten a box from him that HASN'T looked like someone played football with it. Torn down the side, smashed, dirty.... We've learned to package the insides well instead. My favorite mail piece I've gotten had a footprint on it. A black, filthy footprint. And my friend got a package from me that had a label that said something to the effect of it was radioactive/bio-hazard free. It was a book.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: