Double Checking on grit for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rustybeers, Mar 24, 2015.

1. rustybeers

rustybeers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    So I am brand new to owning chickens. I have done a ton of research so I knew what I was getting into and to ensure that my little guys have the best chance. I just want to double check that I don't need to be feeding grit in the brooder? The guy at the farm and ranch store I visited told I don't need it right away. When should I have this available to them? Thank you so much, I have spent a lot of time on this site it has been super helpful! So pumped to get my little guys.

2. kimthom66

kimthom66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2013
    Southeastern CT
    I am jumping in on this thread because I am curious about grit myself. I give my chicks (currently 1 - 2 mos old.) medicated starter crumble but want to give them treats but think I have to give them grit too? And how do you feed the grit, in a separate dish? Or in with their food? or just on the floor of the brooder?

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No grit is needed til you start feeding treats that they will need grit to grind up.

4. kimthom66

kimthom66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2013
    Southeastern CT
    How do you give them the grit then and is there a list of what kind of treats I can give them?

5. jshreck

jshreck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    As far as how to give it to chicks-- I usually sprinkle it on the floor of their brooder. The last batch of chicks I had, I made a dust bath in a little box with dirt from outside, the grit and meal worms. They loved scratching and pecking around in it and eventually moved on to dust bathing in it.

I give them mealworms, grapes, raisins, lettuce, cornbread, and probably other stuff too but those are the favorites.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. DuncansMom

DuncansMom New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    Our chicks love French cut green beans. They go nuts over it.

7. chickyfarm

chickyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    I am following this too as I have this exact question :)

8. huntersmommy611

huntersmommy611 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    We have given our chicks some clumps of dirt from outside. They have been getting some grapes and carrots, but no grit. I guess I should start a "dust bowl"

9. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by