1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Double egg? Has anyone seen this before?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bigwalk, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Bigwalk

Bigwalk New Egg

Jul 15, 2013
    Utah
    So one of my 4 chickens layed this giant egg. As you can see in the photos it is huge! We cracked it for an omelet a few days ago and much to our surprise an entire other egg came out shell and all! Nobody I have talked to has ever heard of such a thing. Has anyone here seen this before?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That is the other egg surrounded by egg white.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    both shells together.

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I have had that happen twice in the three years I have raised Chickens... First time freaked me out, thankfully for the girls sake, it doesn't happen often

3. Toshiko24

Toshiko24 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2013
    Hurricane, Utah
  4. Bigwalk

Bigwalk New Egg

Jul 15, 2013
    Utah
    So there is nothing to worry about? except my poor chicken's rear end! ouch!

5. Mollie4dogs

Mollie4dogs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    Three Rivers, CA
    LOL. My hens pop out giant eggs every once in a while. Most end up being double-yolkers. They're massive and heavy, which amazes me because those ginormous eggs are easily double the size of their "normal" ones. I'll scratch my head and think, oh that was what all that cackling was about... ;-)

I gotta reckon them gals have stretchy butts ;-) LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by