Double Egg Trouble

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Razadia, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I've never seen an egg with two chicks growing in it, so I'm not sure if it's two chicks or one really big one. Still, it looks like there's two of them in the one egg. Does anyone know how to tell if it's two chicks? Oh and it's much bigger then the other egg I have incubating with it.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    How far along is the incubation. Have you candled it yet? What makes you think there is two other than the size of the egg?

3. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Well, I don't know how far along either of the eggs are. I had to remove them from the box because we already have 9 chicks that two of the hens are mothering. They choose the box with eggs in it over the one that didn't. I lost a chick the other night because they were unknowingly incubating the eggs in that nest. It was newly hatched and the hens crushed it. They've been sleeping in that box for about 4 days at most. I've had the eggs in the incubator since last night. When I candled the eggs I wasn't paying much attention to their size, I notice THAT today, and I noticed that on seemed to have a very big chick in it. I did it again before I posted and I noticed that the movement doesn't happen at the same time, rather one spot moves and a few seconds later the other one moves. Both 'dark spots' have been moving quite a bit and in the other egg the chick doesn't move near as much. I would post a video of it moving, but my camera doesn't pic up on the light inside the egg.

Not only would this be my first fertile double, this would be my hens' first double ever. It's never happened before.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  4. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Other than candling it I don't think there's anyway to tell other than waiting for it to hatch or cracking it open if it doesn't. (I'm not squeemish but the thought of cracking open an egg with a dead chick in it is just gross) Some people do little eggtopsies on them. [​IMG]

5. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    cool. i hope that they both hatch happy and healthy

6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I don't know a way to tell but if you look through the hatching posts 1 woman succesesfully helped a double yolk hatch. But the 2nd one she lost one. She videoed the whole thing. It is on You Tube. Good luck. Sorry for the one the hens killed.

7. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Quote:I saw that a few days ago. It was pretty cool. I also found a post by her on another site. She mentioned backyardchickens and I couldn't help but laugh. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by