Double Embryo

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KirkKoop, Jan 16, 2013.

1. KirkKoop

KirkKoop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    I think one of my eggs has a double embryo. The egg is on day 8. The embryo on the bottom has a visible heartbeat, but the dark spot above it has no movement (yet). Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

What do y'all think:

[​IMG]

2. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    that looks awsome but i wouldn't get your hopes up as its quiet rare for a double yolker to hatch but touch wood it all goes well! i never see any heartbeats in my embryos but what i love to do is on day 18 i fill a bowl with luke warm water and put an egg in if it moves it is a healthy chick if not it has died through incubation it has been succsessful in all my hatchies :)

3. KirkKoop

KirkKoop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    Yea I'm not expecting a double to hatch but we shall see. I've always used a broody hen to hatch, this is the first time with an incubator and it's such a hassle hahahaha - I'd much rather have the hen do the hatching.

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Oh wow! They look like they're developing good! Would be interesting to see if they hatch. Keep updated!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've heard of 2 double yolk hatches that were successful. So it is possible! Good luck and keep us posted [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by