Double Eyed Train Feather!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MinxFox, Dec 20, 2011.

1. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Today has been a rainy, cloudy day. I waited for the rain to clear up so I could feed the peafowl. When I entered the pen Alto walked up, his train soaking wet and drooping. Peacock feathers are really pretty when they are wet though. They look very bright pinkish purple and the eye feathers are golden with bright greenish blue. They look really different. Also when their train is all wet you can see all their train feathers better. Alto was pecking at some food so I walked up behind him and was looking at his eye feathers when I spotted something out of the ordinary....One of his long train feathers in the center of his train didn't have just one eye spot but two! The dark blue center of the eye was split in half by the light blue. It was so cool looking. I didn't get a photo of it but I will have to when it isn't so rainy out and overcast and maybe I will get the chance to get a good picture of it when he displays.

How rare is this? I once saw a picture of a double eyed feather and the caption said it was very rare but how rare? Have any of you seen this in your birds before? I think it is so cool I can't wait for him to shed it after breeding season.

2. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    I have never heard of this. Looking forward to seeing the pic!

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Me too. Picture is in order. Cool.

4. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Does sound VERY cool Minxfox, [​IMG]

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Cool
    [​IMG]

6. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Maybe this could be the start of a new mutation..... double eyed peacocks [​IMG]

7. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to see this [​IMG] Pic would be nice [​IMG]

8. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Better than finding a 4 leaf clover!

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    i had some odd ones on my BS PIED W.E not sure but think it was from the pied...he only had part of his train feathers with white eyes. Even had a few that were half of the eye white the other half blue. think mine was because of the pied.

10. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    That sounds really unique deerman, he sounds like he was very beautiful!

Okay well it has been raining a lot but the rain let up and the sun came out and I got the photos you have all been waiting for!!! I noticed a few other feathers were a little different looking but I didn't see another that was 2 in 1.

Do I need to say which one it is? Lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for the feather in sunlight:
    [​IMG]

In the middle of some of these large eye feathers was another strange looking one. It is kinda hard to see.
    [​IMG]

Here is another one:
    [​IMG]

The double eyed feather again in the sunlight:
    [​IMG]

Alto showing it off for me. You can't really see it in this picture.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by