Double Laced Silver Barnevelder Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MamaHen11, Oct 11, 2017.

1. MamaHen11

MamaHen11 Chirping

Sep 1, 2017
    hi all!

I was hoping people had growth/feather development pics from their chicks. I’m curious about how mine will develop and when I can expect to see the pattern start emerging and be fully developed.

Thanks!

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    Chicks are usually fully feathered at around 6 weeks. This is what they look like once grown:
    dlsb.png

Stampin.Hannah and Redhead Rae like this.
  3. MamaHen11

MamaHen11 Chirping

Sep 1, 2017
    Thank you, but I do know how they're supposed to look when they are fully grown into their adult feathers.

I'm curious about the intermediate stages. For instance, they're brown/downy feathered right now, with the wing feathers inbound. However, they look a little brown-ish still. I'm wondering if this is consistent and they darken as their growth progresses.

Will they look like little miniature adults at the six week mark (ish)? Will they not be fully double-laced (maybe that takes fully adult feathering or post first-molt?)? I don't know, so I'm hoping someone has pictures of their chick at 1 week then 4 then 6, etc... So I can see how things are supposed to go, and know if they're not going accordingly :)

twisted-acres-farm likes this.
  4. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    With each molt my chickens live more up to their breeds appearance. Well, I haven't ever kept this breed so I can't say how they're supposed to look. But here is a pic at five weeks:
    dlsb.png

raecarrow and sylviethecochin like this.
  5. MamaHen11

MamaHen11 Chirping

Sep 1, 2017
    Yeah, I am hoping that is the case! It is always so hard to tell whether the pictures that are online and not associated with a thread are examples of poor breeding/non-standard or if that is just how the breed's appearance progresses. Thanks!

6. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm selfie of Curly Sue and me.

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    just beautiful !!

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    You're welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: