Double laying box: Divided or Communal?

mbishop

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2021
I was looking at some of the rollaway egg nesting boxes and see that there are two kinds of double boxes, those with a divider to give each hen privacy, and those that are open, so there's no "favorite" spot.

Which type of box is generally preferred by hens or owners? I'm trying to decide which one to get.

Thanks!

Depends on your chickens, these Faverolles will choose communal any day of the week.
The dominiques don't share, in fact they evict hens from nests if they want one in use.:)
Actually, that might make a difference. We have mostly Favaucanas which I think are a mix of Faverolles.

Ok, I have the answer for those at least what i've observed.
Those don't share, the Faverolles communal spirit goes out the window and is replaced with the ameracunas "wait your darn turn!" attitude. :)
They don't evict though, just end up in grumpy piles or dump eggs outside the nest if they grow tired of waiting.
Actually, that might make a difference. We have mostly Favaucanas which I think are a mix of Faverolles.

Last edited:
Ok, I have the answer for those at least what i've observed.
Those don't share, the Faverolles communal spirit goes out the window and is replaced with the ameracunas "wait your darn turn!" attitude. :)
They don't evict though, just end up in grumpy piles or dump eggs outside the nest if they grow tired of waiting.
I have looked in our laying area before and seen a pile up. It made me laugh out loud.

Back
Top Bottom