Double molt?!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Apr 20, 2009.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    My duck Victor went through his molt about a month ago... He lost quite a bit of feathers, mostly little fluffy ones and a few flight feathers. He looked super scruffy for about two weeks... Then he started to look normal again and feathered out again. Then, just this past week, he lost about 20 flight feathers all in one night! And he seems to be losing some more of that fluff too.

Leave it up to my goofy stupid duck to molt twice.... [​IMG]

2. When my Welsh Harlequin went through her molt it was a loong process, six weeks or more. I worried if she would ever stop! She would loose one type of feather for a while, or several types at once. Lots of feathers came off at a time, but maybe not a lot every single day.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Somebody is molting at my place too..I think it is Lana. I didn't notice at first because the back yard wasn't covered in feathers like it was with Chrissy. Yesterday I figured it all out....the wild birds have been grabbing the feathers as soon as she sheds them to build their nests [​IMG] There are going to be some cozy baby birds in our neighborhood this year.

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Last time, when my ducks went through their first juvenile molt, victor lost a bunch of feathers, Ming Mei lost about 3... This year victor i swear has lost everyone of his feathers twice.... Ming Mei lost a significant amount as well (she had bald spots!). Ming Mei is already feathering in quite beautifully, but victor is still losing feathers, and he started two weeks before she did!

I do find it funny that when feathered, they have these huge magnificent wings that flap and create winds that move stuff around, that you should fear... ever have one flap while holding it and they get you in the eye? it hurts!

But when they molt they got these little dinky wings... lol

5. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I like it when my ducks rear up and flap their wings hard. xD
    Outside of course, and it /can/ be a bother if you're trying to hold them, but other than that, it's sort of pretty. [​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It is pretty....except when they are 2 weeks old and all they have are these little nubs...LOL

I still tell Uno "pretty duck" when he/she does that. It looks ridiculous, but you can tell the duck likes hearing it [​IMG]

7. I love the majestic look of those wings when they spread them out like that. They make me think of angel wings. That'w why I named my fawn and white runners Gabriel and Raphael.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by