Double question: diat. earth and are my chicks skinny?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Beka123, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Beka123

Beka123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    I have two questions: 1) are my chicks skinny? I can feel their breast bone/cartilage thing when I pick them up. Does this mean they are skinny? Or do they just not put on weight at first? If so, possible causes? If anyone read a post I had earlier I was feeding them egg laying crumbles for about 2 weeks bc I didn't know there were diff types of chicken food :( but now I have had them on chick starter for about a week. Could that low-protein diet have starved them slowly? Other possibility I have wondered, could they have worms?

Which leads me to my second question: 2) is diatomaceous earth good for all types of worms even in baby chicks? My feed store guy said to give this stuff free choice or mix it in with their food (we were talking about my adult chickens though) and I chose to mix a little in every day with their food. Could I give it to my babies too? Thanks everyone in advance!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I doubt the wrong feed for 2 weeks will make much difference. You could always scramble them an egg every day or two, to supplement their protein a little. It's hard to describe what the breast bone should feel like on the internet -- but you will feel it even if they're well fed. If they're really starved, it will stick out.

I have never seen any scientific proof that DE treats intestinal worms. Frankly, I don't believe it. It would be unusual for young chicks to have many worms, if any, particularly if they are in a brooder and not on the ground. Worm eggs are picked up from the ground or from eating some insects. Usually chickens don't need attention to worms for a year or so.

If they have access to feed all the time, they should be getting enough to eat. Baby chicks will actually eat at night, especially if they are under a light, though grown chickens won't.

3. Beka123

Beka123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    Oh ok thank you! Yes they have constant access to feed and their light is on all night. I won't worry about it then, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by