Double Stacking Eco 20

Yup, because I did it a week ago Sunday. I've packed well over 100 eggs in there, about 60% Coturnix and the rest Button Quail.

I didn't use the metal railings/bars or the foam inserts from the railings. I just put the thin foam liner on the bottom, then starting lining up the Coturnix eggs along the side wall in a row. Then, back and forth until the bottom was totally packed (all but one row was Coturnix.)

Then, very carefully started setting the button quail on top of the Coturnix to make the second layer.

Then, when it was done, I very carefully slid the whole thing into a plastic mesh bag that 2lbs of lemons had come in. I then used 4 large rubber bands, spaced out evenly and running the short way of the tray, to secure the mesh bag.

This whole thing then went into the incubator.

Last year, instead of the mesh bag, I used nylon netting/tule from the fabric store, which worked fine as well. That actually would be easier, because you could cut a large sheet of tule to fit, set the tray on it, then wrap it over and tuck under when done, less work than trying to slide the tray into a mesh bag without flipping eggs over the wrong way. But, I had the bag and had no idea where I had put the leftover tule in the labyrinth of old junk I call a basement.

Last night, I did the sniff test, and didn't smell anything noticably stinky, so haven't had to take the tray out of the bag yet.

I pretty much decided last year that the tule/mesh was a really good idea on the quail eggs no matter how many or whether or not I was using the metal rails and foam inserts. Because even with the rails and foam, I had problems with a few of them trying to roll around when the incubator was at the extreme angles of the turner's cycle. The mesh stops that.

Back
Top Bottom